Oxens Shaw is set on the southern edge of the attractive Kentish village of Meopham in the North Downs. Cricket has been played on Meopham Green every summer since at least 1776 and the village boasts a windmill dating from 1801. Although rural in location and setting, Meopham is ideally situated for easy access to the M20 and the A2 being 9 miles equidistant, with the Dartford Crossing just 11 miles away.
The property has been owned and farmed by the vendor’s family for around 100 years. Originally part of a larger estate, the land was used as a fruit and cobnut plantation during the 2nd World War, and since the 1950s it has supported a pig herd and arable crops. It is currently used for grazing and hay making and is let to a local farmer. The Memorial Cross to the Meopham Air Disaster in 1930 can be found in the field on the east side of the farm. The property has significant potential throughout and is broken up into various component parts that will provide an incoming purchaser with opportunities moving forward.
The Farmhouse at Oxens Shaw is a detached 3-bedroom bungalow in need of modernisation of brick construction, fully rendered, under a pitched tile roof. There are attractive views to the south and west over the valley and Round Wood beyond. Outside, there are lawned, bedded and mature gardens to the front, sides and rear of the property with far reaching views to the south across the valley. There is ample off road parking for several vehicles to the north east of the Farmhouse with the main access directly from Ifield Road through a gated entrance.
To the west of the farmhouse and approached over a separate access, is a hard yard with a significant range of livestock buildings. Some of these buildings are constructed around a steel frame and are considered to have development potential (subject to the necessary consents) for change of use under Class Q Permitted Development. The majority of the buildings are arranged around a good sized hard yard and comprise a Pole Barn, General Purpose Buildings and a Store.
In the valley bottom to the southwest of the main yard are the remainder of a second set of agricultural buildings. The majority of these buildings are in a dilapidated state and not usable. The best-preserved building is a former Piggery of solid brick construction under a pitched corrugated fibre cement roof that extends to approximately 1,000ft². This building has its own individual access directly from Ifield Road to the north over a hard-core roadway.
The farmhouse and buildings occupy the plateau at the eastern end of the farm, overlooking an attractive wooded valley running north to south on the western side of the farm. The land has been used for grazing and hay making in recent years and is arranged in a ring fence to the south and west of the farmhouse and buildings. In the valley bottom there are the remains of the second set of agricultural buildings mentioned above. On the western side of the valley is Round Wood which extends to 3 acres and is an attractive parcel of native deciduous woodland with Oak and Beech. The grazing land in its entirety is classified as Grade III on the Agricultural Land Classification Plan for England and Wales with well-drained soil types typical of this part of the county especially with undulating banks. It should be noted that Ifield Road, which borders the north-western boundary of the farm is classified as a by-way.
Please see the Property Particulars for further information on Services, Access, Planning, Development Uplift Clause, Floor Plans & Boundary Plan.
Enquire about this property
1400 square feet
A rare opportunity to purchase a small unspoilt farm in a rural location in the North Downs. Extending in total to 24.93 acres.